Friday, June 26, 2009

Summer often brings out the hedonist in me. I love the break from the intensity of teaching and the time I have to slow down, enjoy life and my family, and do things that simply bring me pleasure.

Yesterday I decided to take an impromptu trip to the beach. We’re only about 45 minutes from the East Coast, so I was thinking of maybe driving over to New Smyrna with Marla and her friend Elle. Just as we were preparing to leave, my husband called on his way home from work to let me know that the weather over there was less than favorable. Not to be daunted I decided to drive another 40 minutes and head over to Clearwater. Although I dislike the traffic in the Tampa area, it was definitely worth it!





If I could have my wish, I would live on the Gulf Coast beach. I love the warm water, the seashells, the sugary sand… all of it. Maybe it has to do with the nostalgia it evokes, having spent much of my childhood on the Sarasota/Bradenton beaches, but I think it is possibly something more. Sitting on the beach, listening to the surf, looking out over the vast expanse of water while birds dip and wheel overhead is like medicine for my spirit. Troubles seem to blow away with the breeze and my heart feels lighter, younger, and free.

It gives me such joy to see the same transformation of spirit take place in my daughter, who smiles incessantly from the moment she steps onto the sand until her head hits the pillow at the end of the day. I found myself smiling in unison with her as I watched her cavort in the waves and surf, laughing with exclamations of delight as she gave herself to the wonder of the day.









I’m thinking we just might do it again next week.

4 comments:

  1. The sugary sand is so beautiful - I love that aspect of the Gulf beaches. Marla is growing into such a lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah Phelps4:58 PM

    Im so jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back my friend. You don't blog enough. Maybe you'll have more time over the summer.

    Anyway, I'm with you on the beach thing. There is nothing like it. It's nice to be so close to both coasts and have the ability to choose. I love them both. They each have their advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i totally feel you. the beach is my true home. happy summer!!

    ReplyDelete