Monday, September 24, 2007




Looking Up



I took some time while on vacation this summer to sit on the balcony of our condo and watch the clouds race across the sky over the Gulf of Mexico. I tried to get out there most evenings around 6:30 pm and would watch until the sun set. Some nights Don would join me and we’d watch boats, elephants, cars, and fantastical things pass by.

Earlier this week a tropical depression blew through Central Florida. Don was out of town and it was one of those miraculous evenings when Marla went to bed early and our sons were out. I wandered outside and found a breeze blowing at about 10 miles an hour and temperatures in the mid-seventies. PERFECT! Plopping down in a lawn chair I watched the clouds race west across the sky. The winds were so steady that each cloud had a westerly brush stroke as they rushed overhead. I saw a gargoyle, a wolf, a bear, a fish, outstretched arms, and an angel. Lightning periodically lit up the sky to the west and the clouds were almost luminous. It was better than any movie I’ve ever seen. Incredible! I must have sat there for about 45 minutes just enjoying the show.

I think watching the sky is good for my soul. After just a little time gazing at the heavens, my heart is lighter, my spirit more peaceful, and my perspective adjusted. I could do it indefinitely.

Tonight, while looking through pictures of clouds online, I came across a curious website. The Cloud Appreciation Society. They have a great gallery of pictures should you care to gaze.

I’m hoping to get the daughter off to bed soon so that I can sit outside and look up. Join me and let me know what you see.

3 comments:

  1. The Cloud Appreciation Society.. only on the Internet. Great site. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmm...now thats good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walked out of Publix at dusk a few weeks ago as a storm was approaching and literally caught my breath at the incredible cloud formations above. It was one of those moments when I regretted not having my camera by my side. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete