Wednesday, April 01, 2009



I’ve been cleaning the house this evening, trying to restore some order to the inside as I’m hoping to play outside in the yard next week over spring break. I started in the dining room, moving a lamp or two around and rearranging a few photos that were clustered on a side table. Stopping, I picked up Jesse’s picture and ran my finger along his face, brushing away the dust on the glass. Peering intently at his eyes, drawn into their blueness, I drank in the curve of his cheek and the sweet twist of his crooked smile, so like my own. His hair was lifted by the breeze and he was glancing down at the sand smiling as he watched the water rushing toward his toes. If I closed my eyes, I could remember that moment—hear the surf—almost remember the sound of his voice. My throat began to tighten and my heart pounded with the familiar aching that has been a companion for such a long time.

This Memorial Day weekend marks the 10th year that we have been without Jesse in our lives. Some days I think of him in passing, and others I can think of no one else. Tonight, looking at his picture I was ambushed by the intense desire to hold him, smell his hair, and lace my fingers with his small ones. The gift of time has helped with the searing intensity grief, but there are still times when the waves of sorrow break over me and I am pulled down by a rushing current of pain. However, these times also provide a much needed gift— although laden with anguish, they bring with them memories that are achingly sweet, and give me the opportunity to remember him anew, mixing joy with sorrow.

I haven’t been able to write much about him yet, but I thought I might post a picture.

I miss you Jesse.

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet face! The picture of Jesse on the beach really captures the essence of his personality-just the way I remember him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Achingly sweet and beautiful. Tears ... They're here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful boy...I cannot imagine the magnitude of grief you have experienced over the loss of your little one...so pure, so innocent. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Vicki. I don't even know what to say. He is precious. He looks so much like you.

    I have held your story in my heart and I am happy to put his picture with it now. You blow me away. Ten years seem so short- the peace you speak with about him is a testimony to me, is faith-building... I simply cannot imagine your pain and if I begin to I have to pull back from it because it's too much to bear... but I pray God continues to meet and comfort you in ways that I have trouble believing are possible... in ways that astound you and continue to bring peace and the assurance of knowing you will see him again a lot sooner than any of us realize...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah Phelps11:23 PM

    This is so powerful Mrs. T!
    You are a beautiful writer.
    This brought tears to my eyes,
    but seeing his picture was pure joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures. One day we'll see him again. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki, It is amazing how an everyday household chore such as cleaning will rush back in the grief and joy of a lifetime. As I write this, today is the 21st anniversary of Robbie's death. I find it amazing that we are at this time in our walk. I love your pictures of Jesse. I have thought of you often knowing the anniversary of his death is coming up. His smile is wonderful.
    Love,
    Bren

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's so beautiful. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete